Wedding FAQs

What do I need to do to book a wedding in Tasmania?

Your Celebrant and your venue are the 2 first things to book and you can then book photographer, flowers, cars etc around them. Contact me and I can help get you started.

How much do you charge?

My fee for locations including Hobart and surrounds includes:

  • Consultations via telephone, Skype, or email to discuss your requirements
  • Provision of sample ceremonies, vows, readings, ring ceremonies
  • Preparation of the ceremony in line with your wishes so that it’s “your” ceremony
  • Ensuring the ceremony meets Australian legal requirements
  • A meeting with you at a venue convenient to you once you arrive in Hobart to finalise arrangements
  • A rehearsal at the venue if you wish
  • Draft ceremony for your approval before the big day!
  • Lodgment of all certificates and forms with the Registry offices of Birth Deaths and Marriages, Tasmania

When is the best time of year to have a wedding in Hobart?

The wedding “season” in Hobart is usually September to April so you can expect Celebrants and other wedding industry suppliers to be busiest then. It is normal to book 12 – 18 months ahead, so don’t let your friend tell you “it’s too early”. It’s also ok to book much closer to your chosen date – as long as I receive your Notice of Intended Marriage Form 1 month prior to your ceremony, you will be OK.

Can you help us with suggestions as to where to hold our ceremony?

Yes, there are many beautiful places in Hobart where you can hold your wedding ceremony. I can work with you to organise your venue/wedding location, music, photography and anything else you need help with.

Do you have to be an Australian Citizen to get married in Tasmania?

Getting Married in Tasmania is a simple process. You do NOT need:

  • To be a citizen of Australia;
  • To remain in Australia once you have married or reside in Australia before your marriage;
  • To pay Government fees (except for obtaining the registered, stamped copy of your marriage certificate approximately $50AUS);
  • To arrange the details in person because it can be done via email and phone;
  • To have a licence or medical certificates;
  • To make your wedding plans public;
  • Generally, a legal civil marriage ceremony in Australia would be legal in your country (please also check with your own authorities).

What else do I need to know?

To be legally married in Australia the law requires that:

  • You are over 18 years old and not already married
  • You both agree freely to the marriage
  • You are not related to each other
  • You have proof of identity (birth certificates, passports – these cannot be photocopies)
  • Any documents written in any other language must be translated into English and signed by an authorised notary
  • You are able to understand the legal requirements. If an interpreter is needed, I can help you source one. Any costs related to the interpreter need to be paid by you.

What documentation do I need to organize prior to my wedding?

Whether local or from interstate or overseas you will need to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage with me at least one month prior to your marriage and no longer than 18 months prior, signed and witnessed by an authorised person as follows:

  • Me
  • A Commissioner for Declarations or Justice of the Peace (if you are local or interstate); and if you are from overseas:
    • Australian Diplomatic Officer or Australian Consular Officer
    • An employee of the Commonwealth or an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Act 1955.
    • A Notary Public

I can provide a Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM) or if overseas, you can obtain one from the Australian High Commission, the Australian Embassy, or the Australian Foreign Affairs Department in your country. Once the document has been witnessed please send to me by post to 22 Govett Rise, Austins Ferry, 7011, Tasmania.

Before your marriage, and once you are in Tasmania, I will ask you to:

  • Sign a legal document stating that you know of no reason why you cannot marry each other (that you are not related by blood or adoption, already married or under 18 years)
  • Provide proof of dissolution of any previous marriage (divorce or death certificate – original documents, not photocopies)
  • Provide evidence of birth and identity

What do I need to provide on the wedding day?

On your wedding day, we will need:

  • Two witnesses over the age of 18 years must be present to sign three Marriage Certificates; one for you to keep,  one I keep  and one, which goes to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages  in Hobart to register your marriage
  • If you are not “local” I can provide witnesses for you
  • To ensure that  both the bride and groom and witnesses (2) must be able to speak and understand English. If not, an official interpreter will be needed.

When should we book you?

Sooner rather than later, to avoid disappointment. You need to give at least a minimum of one month’s notice that you plan to marry.

Our wedding is not in Hobart, do you do weddings outside of Hobart?

Yes I do. We can talk about whether or not there will be any additional fees for travel and time.

How long should we allow for our wedding ceremony?

Most ceremonies are no longer than 20 minutes from the time we get started but allow 30 minutes, plus time for congratulations and photographs. You won’t want to rush away after the ceremony. The 20 mins is from when the ceremony begins and includes the signing and presentation of certificate at the end.

Is it customary for the bride to arrive late?

5-8  minutes is fine, but 15 or more is not really OK! Guests always arrive early, so you being late means that they have additional waiting time which may involve standing for long periods of time in the sun or rain!

Do we need a back-up plan for our ceremony location?

You never know what the weather will be like on your big day so it’s worth having a Plan B in mind. It is always your call as to whether you will use Plan A or B.

Our wedding is only small, will the price be less?

It takes as much time, effort and skill to do a small wedding and a large wedding. However, if the wedding only incorporates the legal components, the fee is negotiable.

Can we write our own vows?

Yes, you can. I can provide samples that may help you. If you want to keep them secret from each other until the moment, I can work with you on that. In those cases, I always do an equity check. It could be awkward if one of you has 4 lines and the other 40!

Do you do more than one wedding per day?

Usually not, but if timings and locations allow ample time to get from one to another I will consider it. But only if there is no risk to the arrangements for either party.

Can you bring a signing table?

Yes, I can bring a signing table and a white cloth. However your venue may have something suitable as well and provide it as part of your package.

What if some of our guest don’t speak much English?

I can work with an interpreter of your choice (any payment is your responsibility).

What if some of our guest don’t speak much English?

I can work with an interpreter of your choice (any payment is your responsibility).

How do you book me?

We usually chat on the phone, email, Skype or meet. To book my service and secure your date and time, I require a booking fee (non-refundable) of $50.

Legal requirements

  • You must be over the age of 18 to marry (exceptions are permitted upon authority of the Court)
  • A Notice of Intended Marriage (NoIM) must be completed and provided to me at least one month prior to your wedding ceremony (and no more than 18 months before the ceremony).
  • Proof of Birth – You must provide to me evidence of your date and place of birth (i.e. your original birth certificate or Australian Passport, or if born overseas, your current international passport).
  • You must provide proof of your identity (e.g. your Driver’s Licence, Passport, Australian Citizenship Certificate)
  • If applicable, you must provide evidence of dissolution of a previous marriage (e.g. original Divorce Certificate, or an original Death Certificate of the previous spouse)
  • All documents must be legible in English. If documents are in a language other than English, you will need to have them officially translated by NAATI
  • Prior to your marriage, you must sign a declaration (Form 14), stating there is no legal impediment to your marriage. (We do that at the rehearsal)
  • The marriage must be witnessed by two (2) people who are over 18 years. They can be relatives or friends.
  • Particular wording must be incorporated in the ceremony. I will tell you about this when we meet.
  • During the ceremony, you will sign the:-
    • Certificate retained in the Marriage Register
    • Certificate forwarded to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
    • Certificate given to you as a record of your marriage. This certificate is an official document and evidence of marital status, but it is not a proof of identity document.

Is a name change required?

It is not a legal requirement for a person to change their last name to their spouse’s upon marriage. However, if you wish to do so, you must notify the relevant authorities (bank etc) and provide proof of marriage. Most authorities require a registry-issued marriage certificate as proof of marriage. I will lodge the legal documents with the Tasmanian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. You can go to Service Tasmania to request a copy of the record of your marriage. It costs around $50. This is the document that authorities (such as banks) require.